Saturday, March 27, 2021

Who's Chief?

 Supreme: highest in rank or authority; highest in degree or quality; ultimate, final;

chief, commanding, first, foremost, head, high, lead, leading, preeminent, premier, presiding, primary, prime, principal, supereminent, top

In light of these definitions and synonyms, what or who holds supreme place in your life? What leads and commands your heart?

These can be tough questions if we ask them honestly...and sometimes the answers are good things, admirable things. There have been seasons in my life when striving for the leading role, the highest grade, the best position were supreme...they were the things that my mind went to through most of my day. Other seasons found me putting my family as supreme (not a bad thing to have up there on the top of the list); and still other times, I just sort of floundered...and that probably meant that I was foremost in my mind.

But how about today? Right now, to what does your mind jump? Where is your heart leaning? As you look at your own life, what is first and foremost...what leads you?

Friends, life is short and we are not promised tomorrow; let's take stock today...right now. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of making things, jobs, positions the ultimate in my life; people disappoint me, fail me or leave me, so I can't trust making any relationship of supereminent importance.

So I turn to God, beyond the allure of this world, beyond the fragility of human weakness. If I make Christ supreme, the highest authority and presiding thought and devotion of my life, will I be disappointed? Will His quality or character ever change, like the blustery wind on a winter's day? Will I be left empty-handed on my final day?

“Who is like You, O Lord, among the gods?”
Exodus 15:11

“For who in the heavens can be compared to the Lord?

Who among the sons of the mighty can be likened to the Lord?”
Psalm 89:6

“What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world,
 and loses his own soul?

Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”
Mark 8:36-37 

No comments:

Post a Comment