Saturday, April 17, 2021

It's the little things

 This past January, I undertook a large task...one bigger than I had anticipated! I am taking a virtual walk from my home to Rio Rancho, New Mexico; a trek that, when completed, should cover nearly 1550 miles! There is a reason for this undertaking:  https://www.healinghearts.org/donations/walker998/
I'm only into my third month on this journey, and already I'm feeling the daily pressure; in order to complete the trip before December 31, I need to put in about 5 miles a day. And, truth to tell, sometimes it feels a little overwhelming!

Yesterday morning I headed out to start the first mile. I have a great area right around my house where I take laps every day. So, head down, I start, focused on the ground before me...and then the routine starts to sink in...15 laps, 100 minutes at a good clip...I can soldier through. But then, I hear the birds singing as I walk, and I sense the silence around me. It's a little thing, but I've become keenly aware of their varied melodies as I walk through the neighborhood. It's sweet and peaceful. 

And then, on this overcast day, I catch a glimpse of blue sky amid the gray; there's not a lot of blue, but enough that I can also see the sunshine pushing its way through the cover. It's a little thing, but the blue seems much more vibrant when painted against the steel grey clouds. There's hope for more sunshine up ahead! 



And then I come across the lovely pink hue of the tree across the street, the waving flag in the brisk spring air...these are just little things that bring fond memories and a bit of joy to what could be an otherwise mundane walk. 

And then, as I turn the corner, I smell the sweet pear blossoms! I close my eyes for a brief moment, take a deep breath, and savor the fragrance that speaks of new life and a new season...and I come closer to look at the delicate blooms, swaying gently, causing the sunshine to dance through the branches. It just a little thing, but I allow this moment to slow me down and remember the gift of another day, another walk, another step, another breath.

I find that thankfulness and gratefulness are first and foremost to a life of peace, centered on the One who has given all TO me and FOR me. What sustains me and grounds me from year to year, day to day, step by step, isn't the big moments and the big changes that come and go in our lives, but it's thankfulness and dependence on Jesus who faithfully walks with me as I continue on. Out of the drab and routine, we can find great joy and matchless satisfaction in gratitude...for the little things! 


No comments:

Post a Comment