Saturday, April 23, 2011

Imagine all the sunrises and sunsets we've missed

These are some very poignant words, and they were shared with me by my mother-in-law today.  I was so grateful I had the opportunity to spend time with her and my father-in-law this evening.  I have always loved the conversations we've had, and today was no different.  She was explaining how, when she and Dad were in Hawaii, every morning she'd go out on their patio and watch the sunrise...everyday while they were there.  And when sunset came, she'd be sure to find a window to watch the sun dip into the horizon.  Then she said, "Imagine all the sunrises and sunsets we've missed!" 

Those simple occurences happen every day, events that take place that sometimes we're just too busy to notice or find too mundane to pay attention.  But sunrises and sunsets amaze me;  they happen every day, but they are all so different.  Sometimes the colors are so vivid, painted by the very hand of God.  Other days, the clouds hide the sun from our view...the sunrise happens, but we just don't see it. 

So I sat with my daughters and my in-laws, three generations around the kitchen table, sharing wine, root beer and oreos, talking about school, family, career, marriage, life. I'm so glad I took the time to look closely, listen intently and embrace the beauty that was this moment.  This evening, I experienced a vibrant sunset; I don't want to miss another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment