Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In My Daughter's Eyes

Over the weekend, I was searching for a song I could sing at a Mothers' Day concert.  A google search brought me to Martina McBrides' "In My Daughter's Eyes", written by James Slater.  I've been pondering these words for the last few days...

"In my daughter's eyes I am a hero:
I am strong and wise and I know no fear.
But the truth is plain to see -
She was sent to rescue me.
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes"


How often do I stop and remember that it's not my job to change all the people and circumstances in my life?  Does my heart overflow with thankfulness for the people who have come into my life to change me?  I know that, specifically with my beautiful daughters, I do teach them now and again, but I'm really the student: I've learned about living without judgement and prejudice, not being afraid of facing tough questions, and knowing it's okay that I don't have all the answers.  I've learned to take time to sing and dance in the kitchen, build snowmen in the winter, and listen...really listen...with my head and my heart. 

I see in my daughters joy, beauty, strength, simplicity, gentleness, compassion...I see who I want to be!


3 comments: