Wednesday, April 20, 2011

...one is silver and the other gold.

This afternoon I had the opportunity to catch up with an old friend.  What a delight it was!!  I enjoy meeting new friends, but there's nothing like sharing hearts and lives with people you haven't been with in years.  I found myself really listening, really trying to enter into all that her life holds.  I have been learning to cherish those with whom I surround myself, and so valuing the time I get to spend with them.  Time is so fleeting, circumstances change...things will come and go, but I want to hold fast to relationships.  So, if I seem to hug you a little longer or a little tighter the next time I see you, you'll know...I'm holding on to the silver AND the gold. 

(And in case you don't know what it is I'm talking about...a little song I once learned was "Make new friends, and keep the old; one is silver and the other gold.")

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blog, Irene....
    Been nostalgic of late...wondering what "old friends" are up to...how their lives have turned out. So glad I found you. Although we crossed paths for a brief moment in our young adult years...you made a deep impact on my life, and I never forgot you.
    Love,
    Linnea

    ReplyDelete